The Rocher Project
by Claire, Tom, James and Jane for £9.39
22nd April 2007
Pages: 1 2
Once the shells were fully cooled out of the oven… (this took a long time. In this time we drank beer and ate dinner and drank some more beer, and vodka and ‘Russian’ coffees (coffee, vodka and baileys if you were wondering))
…we dolloped the chocolate spread in to one of the shells. I say dolloped, but we were actually very careful as we still weren’t too sure of the strength of the waff-er. We needn’t have worried. Strong as an ox.
Then we added the Huge Hazelnut
We then piled some more chocolate spread mixture on top of the hazelnut centre, and a smaller amount in to the top half and very very carefully we placed one half on top of the other
Luckily we’d not yet disposed of the stodgy chocolate mess we made earlier. This proved excellent fortune as it acted perfectly as a chocolate putty, thereby making it very easy stick the two together whilst retaining chocolate heaven.
Then we shoved a whole bag of hazelnuts in the Magimix (other food processors are available) and blitzed them up to a chopped nutty texture. We melted chocolate in the microwave and mixed them up together…
After cooling the choc-nutty mix in a cold water bain marie we applied to the top half of The Rocher very carefully indeed. We’d placed The Rocher in a baking tray to allow for drippages and then the painting began. It was at this point that a drawer from the freezer was relegated to the back garden, to sit on top of the barbeque, on a cold January night. This created enough head space for our fast-approaching-really-resembeling Ferrero Rocher.
After half an hour in the freezer we returned to a very solid looking half Rocher. We swiftly upturned it and started painting the underbelly…
Once that was done, it was back in the freezer for another half an hour.
By this time it was 3 in the morning and we’d been at this for 10 hours. Yes, 10 hours. Motivation was running low by this point. What we were greeted with staring back at us from the freezer made us all proud. We weighed The Rocher and she (well, she was born…) weighed in at 2.2kg (pimped to the power of 159. Original FR weighs a weeny 14grams)
Next day, feeling fresh as chocolate daisies we set to work on the packaging.
We had done a bit of a Blue Peter job with the cardboard and had prepared that earlier in the week… So it was a matter of scrunching up gold paper, blowing up a copy of the FR logo to place on top and voila! Here our Rocher is in full glory
And, finally, the cross section… It was here that we made our school-boy error. In the utter excitement and pride in ourselves we were so overcome with emotion, whilst desperately all getting photos on our phone we FORGOT to take a photo on a REAL camera. What numptys. Thank god for the power of modern technology. I’ve blue-toothed a photo from my phone to my computer. So, apologies for the poor quality. I can not believe we did that. Fools.
We are all very proud of our achievement. We stand by the fact the key to making a truly authentic FR is the shell. And we’ve managed it! Yes!